Symptoms of Swine Flu – H1N1 Virus

Swine Flu Outbreak in Mexico and the US

An outbreak of a new strain of Swine Flu has broken out in Mexico, infecting around 1,000 people killing at least 62 so far. The flu virus has been identified as an H1N1 strain. While any new flu strain has the potential of causing a world pandemic, this one is being watched very carefully by the World Health Organisation.

“This is highly contagious, it can be fatal and it has pandemic properties,” said Mexico’s health secretary, Jose Angel Cordova, on national television, advising people to stay in their homes if possible, keep away from public places and avoid physical contact. But middle class Mexicans are starting to flee from the city already if they possibly can.

There have also been four cases in San Diago, California which appear to be the same H1N1 strain as the flu virus in Mexico.

Although known as swine flu, the strain designated H1N1 actually has features of pig, avian and human viruses combined.

In Mexico City, museums and theatres have been closed, rock concerts cancelled and the weekend football game in the giant 100,000 capacity Aztec football stadium was played in front of empty seats.

(CNN) The presence of swine flu in Mexico and the United States is “a serious situation” that could develop into a pandemic, the World Health Organization’s director-general said on Saturday 25th April 2009.
“This is an animal strain of the H1N1 virus and it has pandemic potential because it is infecting people,” Dr. Margaret Chan said Saturday speaking to reporters by phone.

Swine Flu Symptoms

Symptoms of swine flu in people are similar to the symptoms of regular seasonal influenza and include fever, lethargy, coughing and a lack of appetite.

People can avoid spreading the disease by covering coughs and sneezes and washing hands frequently. Avoiding physical contact with others would also be a good idea, but there’s a whole lot more too it than just this. If you want to survive the swine flu pandemic which is going to affect everybody in the next 12 months then the single most useful thing you can do to help protect yourself and your family is to educate yourself about the nature of the pandemic and what is likely to happen. Then you can be better prepared and greatly improve the odds in your favour. Yes, there is lots of  good information about swine flu available on the internet but it has variable quality ( some can be totally misleading) and it is scattered about lots of different places which don’t all come up in Google or Bing.  That’s why it’s well worth getting hold of  the authoritative book “Survive Pandemic Flu” by Stephen Carter, Ph.D. This information goes into great depth all around the subject, but also keeps to the point of what you need to know. It’s properly researched, accurate and bang up to date.

“Survive Pandemic Flu” – Download the free 47 page preview

(right click and select “save file” or “save target as”)

Free Download "Survive Pandemic Flu" preview

Free Download "Survive Pandemic Flu" preview

Because SWINE FLU Is Now Pandemic
And The Vaccine Will Be In Short Supply
You MUST Assume The Virus WILL
Reach Your Family Shortly.

swineflu

Flu and You – UK Flu Research Book

“Flu and You” is the title of another book that’s just been released by one of Oxford University’s premier researchers in microbiology. At under a fiver, it’s excellent value for all the information you need.

Precautions

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends washing hands frequently, avoiding touching the face, covering the nose and mouth when sneezing and staying home when sick. People cannot be infected by eating pork.

update: 29/04/2009:

First US Death from Swine Flu Symptoms

A  Texas child is the first person known to have died from swine flu H1N1 symptoms outside of Mexico. In Mexico City the new virus may have killed as many as 160 people or more, possible going back several weeks before the outbreak became widely reported. Officials in Washington have given no further details about the patient, aged 1 year 11 months. US Federal health officials had been warning that the virus probably would claim lives in the US before running its course. The full extent of the outbreak is impossible to predict.

64 cases have been confirmed US wide, with other cases in New Zealand, Spain and the UK

Germany became the latest new country to report cases of the H1N1 virus, reporting three confirmed sufferers.

Border controls and travel restrictions would not be enough now to prevent the deadly disease from spreading throughout the world.

Swine Flu Symptoms Video

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

This entry was posted in Epidemiology, Swine Flu and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments welcome via facebook:

61 Responses to Symptoms of Swine Flu – H1N1 Virus

1. Angela says:

I am curious concerning this new flu strain, how long is a person sick before they realize it to be serious and seek help? 1 to 4 days incubation right, but if a person is sick for a week thinking they are fighting off a cold or simple flu when are they realizing it is more? Especially if adults don’t even have the gastro symptoms.

• amber says:

who knows i have been really sick for almost 2 weeks im ready for it to pass

2. Andy says:

The trouble is that not enough is yet known about this new strain,

Incubation could be anything between 2 and 7 days. People with flu
    symptoms are being urged to see the doctor.

3. mario says:

well ive done some reserch and found that there are medicine for this virus

Oseltamivir (brand name Tamiflu ®) is approved to both treat and prevent influenza A and B
    virus infection in people one year of age and older.

Zanamivir (brand name Relenza ®) is approved to treat influenza A and B virus infection in people 7 years
    and older and to prevent influenza A and B virus infection in people 5 years and older.

how do i know when to take them ????

sorry about my english im from italy

• rachel says:

tamiflu just treats the flu and you have to catch it before it gets bad. i have taken tamiflu before. the doctor has to catch it within 24hours of the first sign of symptoms

4. Michael Read says:

Its killing young people between the ages of 20 and 40 so ive read, I imagine due to the location of the out break, as some people are claiming this thing has traveled from new zealand, its kind of strange that theresno reported out break there.

You know, its kind of a bit of a conspiracy but obahma’s not that popular down in the south of his own country and those mexicans cross over those borders by the bus load every single day, not all of them use the legal crossing’s either, watch out san antonio, houston, and then who knows what will happen then, by the time the virus has half killed mostof texas, maybe they will find a mysterious cure?. before it gets as far out of control as lets say…chicago?.

Heres your first taste of dirty socialist deviance and dictatorship control in the the so called land of the free, and lets face it, texas is the only state that could subceed from the union(how embarrsing) and with amunition stock pile sales in texas sold out to the point where SWAT cant even get bullits…well its all kind of plausable.

• The one with a brain says:

Michael Read,

Dude I hope you are just trying to be funny, otherwise you are a total jackass. I am not one of religion nor am I one thinking this is some kind of conspiracy. However to all those bible thumpers in Texas maybe this is a sign of “his” presence and that it is time for those of you that go a little overboard with your religion to change you ways of thinking, have you every thought of looking at it that way believers? I am saying those of you because not all Texans are the crazy Evangelical types that speak in tongues. In any event I find it ironic that this happens so close to Texas once they started runing thier mouths about succedding.

• Jule Reid says:

I think you are missing the part about things happen to the just and the unjust. In times where there is a virus spreading and killing folks its good to know that there is someone waiting for you on the other side that gave His life so I can be with Him. He is so concerned about my well-being that I’d hate to be some pathetic germ trying to get to me through Jesus…. silly germ just wouldn’t stand a chance.

Trust me, its nice to have this kind of assurance and confidence. To know you are so special and protected that the creator of the universe takes time to make sure you are fine. There just isn’t anything like it!

• Barney L. Cornett says:

You know, I’m really sick of people like you calling Religous People “Bible Thumpers”, if you want to be an Atheist, that’s fine, but quit ragging on the Religous Folks, they don’t really rag on you for not being Religous, so what’s the point of of your Scorn towards those who do have Faith in something that you can’t understand!
        Ohhhhh, I forgot, you can’t understand these peoples Faifh so you have nothing but Contempt for them and to you it’s fair game to make a Mockery of and Ridicule their Beliefs! I don’t know about you , but I was raised to Respect someone until they gave me a reason not too!

5. Ravindrababu.Pydipalli says:

Regarding H1N1, even if a patient knows that he has been infected with this virus and even if he/she goes to a doctor earlier for prophylactic measures,there is only a little aid doctors could do.They do the confirmative lab tests,and prescribe anti-biotics,anti-inflammators,anti-viral drugs, bronchodilators(if any bronchial spasm), counselling,and a pair of facemasks.
    Suposse patient is very sick they admit and observe for respiratory failure which is a grave complicaton.They (Doctors)themselves not fully aware of the course and line of treatment and of course they are also busy in protecting themselves from the disease as they have more risk factors by exposing themselves to lot of patients with all types of viral strains.
    Only they may try to control the complications,and assure you, give some tips to prevent the spread of this deadly disease.Truly in my opinion Please don’t think too much about this malicious disease and waste your time.Don’t afraid at some one’s sneeze,or cough, it could be only a normal flu.
    Please do not be nervous and crazy always because this useless tension about this disease it self reduces your immunity and aggravates mental stress which may induces lot of Adrenaline secreation. Obviously it may increae you pulse rate and heart beat.Then you may get more dangerous problems than this bloody Viral infection.
    So frankly speaking in my opinion if a patient is affected and attcked with H1N1 the net result will be depend upon his age,hygiene,his body’s immunity response,the severity of infection, status of secondary infections,diet,hydration, earlier health condition,all these factors works out for a good result.Then comes patient’s self-confidence,courage,mental stability,and the power to face the challanges of this dirty venomous virus,latter the outcome is depend on fate,luck, and finally ” FAITH IN THE GOD!”.

6. Linda says:

This advice for washing your hands might be helpful: Hand washing to deal with infection

7. Savanna says:

If you think about it. The government might be planning to kill off a bunch of people beause they think we are over populated. check out this site http://www.infowars.com. About 2 weeks ago they got a call from this guy saying that someone was after him. I think that this is a man made virus that was released on purpose

8. Stephanie says:

Here’s the funny thing, they keep telling everyone to wash your hands, wash your hands, and that’s all well and good, and it does keep some viruses under control, but the “flu” is an airborne virus. That means that you can wash your hands until the skin comes off, but if someone next to you in a store coughs or sneezes in your general direction, you can get the virus.

• michael says:

Yes I totally agree with you but it has be confirmed that this type of influenza can and will survive on solid surfaces such as a table ect.

Michael

9. Stephanie says:

I have to laugh, because I stumbled across this website by mistake. I’m from the southern part of the USA, Mississippi, in fact and when you state “union,” and say that it is embarassing, I can only gather that you mean because we were once under the sovereignty of Great Britain? As for the person that was “elected” the President of the USA, I wouldn’t put it past him to release a superbug. I mean did you hear what they did in New York? Authorized a low fly by with Air Force One (Presidents plane) over the site of where the Twin Towers used to be. I’m afraid what is put out by our media is extremely biased and does not tell the whole truth for the world to see. He has already put into motion socialism on a grand scale, so much so, that my great, great, great, great grandchildren will be trying to pay off his debt. As for Texas seceding from the “union,” trust me, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, and Florida will be moving west, with our stock piles of guns and ammo.

10. Susannah Youdan says:

I feel very sorry for people who have lost a loved one, But we must now deal with facts how ever the cause.
    and follow the instuctions.given to us by health experts but if we Eat well, lots of fresh veg fruit high in vitamin C. use paper tissues and dispose of carefuly , and wash your hands and use an alcoholic spray, It is common sense to get fresh air if working in a closed crowed enviroment. open a window and or go for a walk in the lunch hour if it makes you feel better use a face mask.
    Do not panic and keep things in perspective. More people are killed on roads each day than all who have so far died of H1N1 Virus. Remember the healthier you are, The stronger you will be to fight this flu.

11. Bias Media? says:

Let me guess Stephanie, you think Fox News is “Fair and Balanced”

12. Linda says:

Hmm, you seem to have an epidemic of Americans on here Andy and what strange and scary ideas some of them have! Wonder if they’ve ever read The Handmaiden’s Tale…..

13. Stephanie says:

No Linda, it feels like George Orwells “1985″ here, according to our new Homeland Security Secretary, anyone who believes in Prolife, any veteran of any war, someone who is against illegal immigrants from enter our country, is now on a domestic terrorist list. It was stated by the Secretary, Janet Napolitano, at a press conference, and released on their site, until a few days later it was suddenly gone. So, do I believe the women of the U.S. will be surrogate slaves of some elite men? No. But what’s happening in our country right now is extremely scary. I’m sorry, for invading your blog, like I said before, I thought it was a site in the U.S..

14. Dr. Bijon Kumar Sil says:

I do agree 100% with Ravindra. This is time when world needs strong mental support from patients and health care society.

15. Linda says:

Hi Stephanie
    I think your country has far more to fear from the right than the left and any excuse to tighten legislation (including swine flu) will be grabbed by the established government. I believe neither of your main parties are socialists of any variety or even of the left. Mind you neither are ours!
    Seen Naomi Wolf’s Youtube stuff? I agree the Homeland security stuff is scary (what ever form of activism you may have indulged in) and we’ve lost quite a few of our hard fought rights here too. I still think that what’s likely to emerge in the US is more likely to be some form of far right regime. I do think there’s a risk that a pandemic will give governments a further excuse to restrict human rights.
    Meanwhile we do our best to keep our spirits up, eat well, we wash our hands, catch our germs in a tissue, stay home if we get sick. Er, when did we stop doing all this as a matter of course?

16. DARREN HOWARD says:

Hi there im rather concerned of this out-break in the UK, and totaly agree with your comments on the US president, why would you fly air-force 1 around that low, no wonder everyone was running for cover. Are all these leaders (lol) just (POWER CRAZY), OR JUST HERE TO EXTERMINATE THE HUMAN RACE????? The human population will take a big impact with this flu virus, as it will get worse, and the goverment will know this already. How do we really know that this virus was an accident or was it , as you say a goverment plan for (OVER POPULATION)??? Or did it get transported from IRAQ or IRAN and released into the air, all these leaders are not to be trusted, they are making deals here and there, and are (NOT) making a good job of it. As the saying goes in the UK, the goverment is the (BIGGEST GANGSTERS), they get away with what they want to do on all occasions, and we have to sit here and take it , I think all these so called goverments are making things better for themselfs, the romans would of made a better job than (GORDON&OABHAMA-B*N-L*DEN) Hope this dont offend but have a good think to yourselfs, and you will come to the correct answer, and the goverment is (NOT) the answer.

MY DEEPEST SYMPHATHY FOR THOSE VICTIMS ALREADY———- GOD BLESS

HOPE THE GOVERMENTS BRING THE (CURE) BEFORE THEY (CURE) US.

• Dumbfounded says:

Frankly, I think you’re all a little whacked, and have nothing better to think about.!!! Really folks, you are borderline paranoid. Did you say the plane flew over NY??? Cause I thought I heard the swineflu was born in Mexico???? And for all you religious freaks, I really don’t think GOD would appreciate getting involved with all this hokey garbage.

17. Stephanie says:

Hi Linda,
    Had to reply because something came to my attention today, my doctor was talking to me about the outbreak and he stated that the government, months ago put out a caution stating that Americans should restrict their travel to Mexico because of an outbreak of gang violence. He is wondering if just maybe the government knew back then about the outbreak and didn’t want to cause widespread panic here in the U.S.. Food for thought. The scary thing for me is my husband is working in Corpus Christi, Texas, it is on the coast of Texas, close to the border, and he is flying home next week. I’m asking him to wear a mask on the flight and keep his hands and the area around him sanitized. I just want him to do this as a precaution because the air on the planes are recirculated and who knows what germs are on there right now. Do I really think Obama engineered this? No. Do I think maybe the government knew months ago and didn’t inform the public? Very big possibility. As far as left or right, really I’m neither, I run the middle, I have views that I agree with on both sides of the coin. When the election came around I really didn’t like either one of the candidates, but I had to choose the lesser of two evils, and at that time I believed it to be McCain, especially after researching Obama. As far as keeping my hands clean and using a tissue, I do it every time and my family does also, I believe in good hygiene and proper manners. So from the sunny coast of Mississippi, we are trying to keep our spirits up, and our hands clean. Oh, forgot, my doctor also was saying that when there was an outbreak of polio here in the ’50′s, it caused businesses to shut down, no one was going out to eat, or to the movies, they were just staying in doors. Wonder what it will do to our economy now if that happens? I guess if we think it’s bad now, it could get a lot worse.

• Lori says:

Let’s NOT forget “E Pluribus Unum” , latin for “Out of many one”. Anyone care to reiterate?

18. Ana-Maria says:

The main problem is that since this is not just a swine flu strain, but rather a combination of swine and avian. This in itself is a big problem, but add the fact that it somehow gained the human to human transfer gene, walla, we have an even bigger problem. Our daily lives involve human to human contact, to therefore it is possible to transfer the virus to just about any one.

One thing I would like to point out is that people keep saying this could become a pandemic. But does anyone really know what a pandemic means? I mean the news is making it out like it is the end of the world if it becomes a pandemic, when it reality it already is one. A pandemic only means that the virus is present in more than one or two countries. At this point, Mexico, Canada, USA, Spain, Germany, the UK, and New Zealand are already reporting cases, so why are people freaking out over the term “PANDEMIC?”

I realize that this is not a good virus, being about to change its genomes, h and n, but I think the media is over reacting to this one, and causing everyone to panic, and that is not a good thing in the grand scheme of things.

Ana

19. Dennis says:

“when there was an outbreak of polio here in the ’50’s, it caused businesses to shut down, no one was going out to eat, or to the movies, they were just staying in doors. Wonder what it will do to our economy now if that happens? ”

possibility of panic
    social breakdown

MEDIA/GOVT CENSCORSHIP

we don’t really know and they don’t want us to know.

I work for st publ!c hea!th.
    the cdc in my state has decided to “hush hush” the # of suspected & confirmed cases.

we have been having pand#m!c flu meetings for months before this happened. yea, they knew.

20. raychael says:

Heres a little history lesson that doesnt contain conspiracy or whatever you want to call it. The H1N1 today is a combination of swine, avian, and human flu types. Just to get that straight. In 1918 when the Spanish flu hit it was in May of that year and it was the 1st wave which was mild and less severe in symptoms. It was also just a combo of avian and human flu. 2 thats right just 2 flus. During the summer the cases died down and OMG in August of 1918 it came back and slaughtered over 50 million people across the globe in a matter of 6 months. So tell me does this sound the same as the one that popped its ugly head out recently? Yeah it does and I think I would rather be prepared in the long run then be sorry later. For all you conspiracy theorist i only agree with you on one important note, that ALL and I mean ALL government knew before we all did. They ALL were aware and we ALL know it.

Heres a little song from 1918 that children sang,

“There once was a bird called ENZA, I opened the window and IN-FLU-ENZA.”

But people then in 1918 knew nothing about what was killing them did they? The how did this song come to exist without the knowledge of what the flu was.

21. Ana-Maria says:

Is this the Raychael from “Diseases in Modern Society?” at EVCC?

22. Rokstok says:

I read somewhere that this new strain is one that contains parts of the H5N1 virus (bird flu) and other flues, including the H1N1 strain (human), and some genetic material from swine flu, but they’re just calling it the H1N1 virus. This is all very confusing, because that would have had to be genetically engineered in a lab and then released into the general public. They (the media) is also saying that it is a rapidly mutating virus (RNA, obviously, because they are unstable). And up in the article it was talking about how the virus in 1970 was very similar to the one in 1950, so it would have to be isolated somewhere and then released. Could this new strain somehow be a similar situation to back then? Could this be genetically engineered? If someone could explain, that would be great.

23. STEVE WAYNE says:

Its hard to know who to believe – one minute we are told its dying down and H1N1 is on the way out then we hear of more and more people with it – over 1000 in the UK that are being screeded.

Why is there not more preventive measures at schools and hospitals and public places?

The only thing I have seen and I have said this before is where a Headmaster brought in a vizexon bio-decontamination team to fog a school to prevent or at least help prevent students from catching the flu – why dont more schools take this approach?

24. ISELA says:

Hi everyone, This past week i have beeen extremely sick, i dont think i have the flu but, as days go by i’m only getting worse. i ididnt travel anywhere for spring break, but what i think is kidney stones or somesort of swollen organ i have reading this page i starting to think different! if someone here knows what this could possibly be let me know i have no insurance to see a doctor right now. here are my symptoms: very jittery, i shake holding anything, i am extremely exhausted and i have no appetite also i feel very very bad headaches as if i was being eaten alive,no joke i cant get upit’s hurts so bad .

• Andy Roberts says:

Insurance has got nothing to do with it. Get the medical help you need now and worry about payment later. They can’t sue you if you’re dead can they?

What kind of barbaric country forces sick people to have to think like this.

25. ISELA says:

also iam only 29 yrs., pain is very severe it goes from the chest to my back and i have a bad cough now for 2 days…

• amy says:

get tested!

• Linda says:

Hi, I really feel you ought to get medical help Isela and I have to agree with Andy. The internet is great but it’s no replacement for qualified medical opinion!
      Despite all it’s problems we at least have a national health service that entitles us to medical help when we need it without fear of being unable to pay, here in the UK. I nearly wrote that we were lucky to have it but luck has little to do with it. People have fought hard to establish and to preserve a free at the point of delivery health service. Despite it’s short comings the NHS still remains, a reminder of the old ideals of the welfare state.

26. Kathie says:

what are the syptoms of h1n1 swine flu because we ae afraid that my daughter might have the swine flu.

27. Helper says:

Tthere will be times when new unkown sickness will appear on earth. Medicine will not know how to cure them. But there is hope for those that want to do the work. A free gift for humanity is available. No group to join, no money required. Any human being, regardless of skin color, religion, political or religious position has the potential within. Please ask for a free book at http://www.hercolubus.tv. It has the practices to prepare yourself. No one can do the job for you. You and you alone can prepare for what is already happening: Floods, Earthquakes, Global Warming, Pandemics, World wars etc.

28. Kristiane says:

Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This A(H1N1) is one of many problem world wide. How can people prevent the said virus?????

29. Hi Everybody,
    The best advice is still to live a Godly and Clean life, i mean cleanliness is next to Godliness, washing hands before and after eating, of course Praying several times a day that your body will not be infected by the H1N1 virus, eating healthy and fresh fruits and vegetables and taking usana vitamins,plus 1 hour daily of brisk walking is still the best bet to have a strong immune system. A very healthy body can resist any H1N1 viral contamination.
    Gerry A. Garay
    Health and Welnness Guru
    gerrygaray@yahoo.com
    +639224841234
    +639092876888
    +639265476888

30. christian enriquez says:

hey…do they have the vaccine for this kind of sick namely swineflu?

31. ana says:

how can they know if it is just an ordinary flu or it is already a swine flu or A(H1N1)??

32. john says:

Never before has a flu outbreak been so publicised and blown out of proportion. It’s a political/corporate stunt designed to suck up more cash to purposely do alot more damage to established economies in what’s comparible to economic terrorism eventually leading to corporate control on a global scale (much like Carbon cap&trade and orchestrated stock market manipulations. Remember wealth is never lost, it is simply redistrubuted Be wary of any organisation with the word ‘World’ in its name. I am super-serial.

33. wafae bouqayes says:

1 pupile has just passed away 2 days ago in the borough of Hillingdon she goes to the same school as my nephew and niece what really enrages me is that the school is still open (St Catherine’s school – West Drayton) and the head teacher keeps telling the parents that the school will remain open but her daughter hasn’t been to school since the fatal death of the 9 year old girl. The media hasn’t covered the story at all and they still saying that there is only 1 death related case in the whole London!! I had to send tamiflu from Dubai to my family in London as they coudn’t have it without prescription! this is serious matter here and I wouldn’t care if it is a stunt or not!! all I want is for my family and the whole innocent people to be safe!!
    Thanks

34. Pingback: Now I’ve Got Swine Flu – Really

35. Andy Roberts says:

UK Swine Flu information line : 0800 1 513 513

• wafae bouqayes says:

Thank you Andy. I appreciate the update. Yes the school is now closed and they’ve allocated a GP to monito all the kids to make sure that no one else is at risk…I just hope that the vaccine would be available ASAP.

36. Taylor says:

I have been washing my hands every year all the time around flu season and havnt seem to got the flu for a long while

37. Talor says:

Whatz up what do you want me to say

38. Talor says:

eggs and bacon

39. Brandi says:

The H1N1 flu is scarying alot of ppl. Nobody knows how to deal with it

The media is blowing it way out of proportion.,

Im 15 and i know more about the common cold then this H1N1 only because people are educated on it.

Not that many peopl are educated on the flu and need to be,

40. Pingback: Latest H1N1 Virus Swine Flu Season in Full Flow « Andy Roberts

41. Pingback: H1N1 Virus – Swine Flu Season in Full Flow

42. Andy Roberts says:

A comment from Ramesh Desai on another post:

Who’s at High Risk From Swine Flu?

In Mexico, the virus appears to be targeting those aged 20 to 40. This is not unusual – the same occurred during the worst pandemic of the last century, in 1918, when 20 to 40 million people died. Young healthy people with strong immune systems react most powerfully to the virus but the very strength of their reaction produces inflammation and secretions in the lungs which can be overwhelming. In the US, the virus appears to be targeting children who are suffering only mild illness. The difference in the two countries is so far unexplained. One hypothesis is that a second virus may be circulating in Mexico which is interacting with the swine flu virus to produce more severe symptoms.

43. Pingback: New Year’s Eve Traditions

44. Dear Andy,

Thank you for placing my article on Avian/Swine flu on your website. I believe that it is very important for humankind’s future. In this respect this global problem is a constant threat that will not go away I am afraid to say. Even Margaret Chan (Director-General of the World Health Organization – the WHO) admits that it is an inevitability. Therefore we have to be vigilant all the time and your website is very important in this respect. Therefore I would respectfully like to add the following which is a vital link that is missing within my article. Considering this could you please add as an addendum to the main item?

The only way to stop bird flu et al indefinitely is to address the problem at source and never let it happen in the first place. It is the only way
    - http://avian-influenza.cirad.fr/content/download/1931/11789/file/Kennedy-F-Shortridge.pdf

Otherwise it will one day come back with a vengeance and wipe out a quarter of humanity. The Spanish Flu that killed up to 100 million will be then be seen as the minor event in the world’s history of global pandemics

Thanks Andy for your fine work for others throughout the world. And I really mean that.

David

Dr David Hill
    Executive Director
    World Innovation Foundation Charity
    Bern, Switzerland & Huddersfield, United Kingdom

45. Fumiko Pirie says:

In June 2009, the World Health Organization declared the new strain of swine-origin H1N1 as a pandemic. This strain is often called swine flu by the public media. This novel virus spread worldwide and had caused about 17,000 deaths by the start of 2010. On August 10, 2010, the World Health Organization declared the H1N1 influenza pandemic over, saying worldwide flu activity had returned to typical seasonal patterns.